NYS COVID-19 P&C CUSTOMER RELIEF NOTICE

New York State Department of Financial Services extends grace periods for certain property/casualty insurance policies.  If you are an individual or small business and can demonstrate financial hardship as a result of the coronavirus pandemic.  
Read more

NYS COVID-19 LIFE INSURANCE CUSTOMER RELIEF NOTICE

New York State Department of Financial Services extends grace period and give you other rights under life insurance policy or annuity contract if you can demonstrate financial hardship as a result of the coronavirus pandemic.  Read more.

OFFICE CLOSURE DURING COVID-19

As we continue to monitor the spread of COVID-19 (coronavirus), the health and safety of our policy holders and staff is our top priority. Based on recommendations from the CDC (Center for Disease Control) as well as the recommendations from the New York State Governor,  SEFCU Insurance Agency has made the decision to temporarily close our offices located at 469 State Street, 3rdFloor, Schenectady and 297 Main Street, Schoharie beginning Friday, March 20th until further notice. 

This temporary closure affects SEFCU Insurance Agency offices ONLY. 

During this time of uncertainty, you can rest assured knowing that SEFCU Insurance Agency will continue to meet the needs of our customers. Agents are available by phone as well as email to service your policies, offer quotes, and answer any of your questions. We will not be staffing our offices or accepting premium payments in person.

Read More

Signs of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Sep 15th, 2021

Published: November 12, 2015

Updated: July 8, 2020

written by Extra Mile Staff

 

Carbon monoxide is a highly toxic gas produced when organic matter is burned in an environment without sufficient oxygen. When inhaled, it enters the bloodstream and prevents red blood cells from carrying oxygen. Without oxygen, the cells die. Even non-lethal levels can cause grievous harm to the central nervous system and the heart.

Because carbon monoxide is colorless, odorless and tasteless, it may be hard to detect. But there are warning symptoms that are indicative of carbon monoxide poisoning. Knowing what they are could save your life.

Common Causes and Prevention of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

According to the CDC, at least 430 people die every year from unintentional carbon monoxide poisoning. During winter, poisoning can occur more frequently. This is due to people being indoors and using heating systems that pose a risk of leaking.  In fact, any fuel burning system can pose a CO poisoning risk. Heating methods that pose a risk include:

  • Furnaces
  • Chimneys
  • Wood-burning stoves
  • Fireplaces
  • Space heaters

 

Install CO Detectors

You’ll also want to keep in mind that CO poisoning can occur when you leave your car running in an enclosed space. For instance, this could happen in your garage. To prevent CO poisoning be sure to install a carbon monoxide detector in your home. These detectors are similar to smoke detectors in that they can be placed in any room of your house and run on batteries. After you install these detectors, you will want to make sure you maintain them regularly. Remember that every detector will need to be replaced at some point in time. You can find out how long yours will last by checking the packaging. You should also test your CO detector frequently. Generally, you can do this by using the test button on the detector.

Tip:

A great time to remember to complete a CO detector check-up is the beginning and ending of Daylight Saving Time.

Common Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Carbon monoxide is a silent danger that can lurk in any home.  This makes knowing the symptoms essential. Symptoms include:

  • Headache
  • Dizziness
  • Nausea or vomiting
  • Yawning
  • Confusion or drowsiness
  • Fast Breathing
  • Fast heartbeat
  • Chest pain
  • Vision problems
  • Ringing in ears
  • Seizures
  • Loss of Consciousness

 

What to Do If You Experience Signs of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

If you find yourself experiencing these symptoms, you should immediately follow these tips:

  • Move to fresh air immediately
  • Seek medical help right away—Call 911
  • Ventilate by opening windows
  • Turn off the source of CO poisoning if safe to do so

 

Courtesy of The Hartford

For more information or to obtain a free, no-obligation quote please call our team at 518-786-9905 or 888-250-6689 (toll free).